BEEF & MUSHROOM VOL AU VENTS
This week we are dreaming about hot days and summer picnics therefore we have created this scrumptious savoury recipe - Beef & Mushroom Assam Vol Au Vents.
These are so easy to make and are perfect to pack up and take on your outdoor adventures. They could even be used as canapés in your next summer party.
So what are you waiting for... get cooking!
|Serves||12 Vol Au Vents|
|Makes In||30 mins|
|200-250g||Steak, Chopped into Small Pieces (Sirloin or Rump)|
|½||Onion, Finely Chopped|
|5||Medium Chestnut Mushrooms, Finely Chopped|
|2||Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped|
|2 tsp||Twinings Assam Tea|
|½||Cube Beef or Chicken Stock|
|2 tbsp||Garlic Cream Cheese|
|Few Sprigs of Thyme|
|Oil for Frying|
|Salt & Pepper To Taste|
|Chopped Parsley To Garnish|
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Roll out the puff pastry to 1/4 inch thick. Using a round cutter, cut out 24 circles.
- Beat the egg and brush 1/2 of the circles with the beaten egg.
- With the other 12 circles, cut out a smaller circle in the middle and remove the middle. Place the circle with the hole missing on top of the brushed egg circles and press to stick. Brush the tops with more egg.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 10-15mins or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Place the water, Assam tea and stock cube in a measuring jug and stir until the cube dissolves. Allow the tea to brew for 4 minutes then strain out the tea.
- Heat the frying pan over a moderately high heat. Massage the oil, salt and pepper into the steak cubes and fry until brown. Set aside, then add the onion, thyme and reduce to the heat to medium.
- Add about 50ml of the stock to the pan to deglaze, then add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes, then add the remaining stock and allow the mixture to reduce and bubble. Remove from the heat and stir in the cream cheese. Season to taste.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into the cases and top with the cubes of steak. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Happy summer cooking!