BERRY BLUSH PIE
Bake to impress. Wow the one(s) you love with this super-easy-to-make afternoon treat or perfect pudding.
|Makes In||1 hr 15 mins|
For The Pastry
|175g||Cold Butter, Cubed|
|2||Egg Yolks, Cold|
|1||Vanilla Bean, Scraped|
|1||8 Inch Tart Case or Pie Dish|
For The Filling & Finish
|350g||Mixed Frozen Berries|
|300g||Fresh Berries (We've used blueberries and strawberries)|
|1||Twinings Berry Blush Infusion Pyramid Bag|
- Using a stand mixer, beat the butter, vanilla bean and sugar together until it forms a paste. Gradually add the egg yolks, beating after each addition.
- Add the flour and salt, and bring the dough together. Flatten and wrap in cling film before chilling for 30 mins.
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a 2p coin. Line an 8 inch fluted tart tin or pie dish. Press the pastry into the pan and trim off any excess, leaving an extra inch around the rim. Tuck the excess behind the pastry.
- To crimp the edge, place your finger and thumb 1cm apart. Push the pastry in between the space. Repeat all around the pastry or crimp with a fork. Prick the base and leave to firm in the fridge.
- Roll out the excess pastry and cut out 24 small hearts. Place on a plate and leave to chill in the fridge.
- Or you can use a pack of shop bought short crust pastry.
- In a saucepan, add 1/2 of the frozen berries with the sugar, Berry Blush pyramid bag, water and lemon juice. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes till the mixture becomes syrupy.
- Place the corn flour in a small bowl and add some of the syrup mixture to the corn flour and stir to combine. Add this mixture to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 180.
- Cook the berry mixture for one minute and then remove off the heat.
- Remove the mixture from the saucepan and transfer into a bowl. Add the remaining frozen berries and the fresh fruits.
- Pour this mixture into the chilled pastry case and top with the pastry hearts.
- Mix the egg yolk with a teaspoon of water and brush the pastry with this mixture. Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 25mins.
- Allow to cool before serving with yoghurt or a scoop of ice cream.