Christmas Tea & Fruit Cake
A festive and spicy fruit cake. Best served with a cup of Christmas tea.
- Serves 1 Loaf
- Makes In 1 hr 30 mins
- Difficulty Easy
- Dietary V
For the fruit mixture
70g · Light Brown Sugar
140g · Soft Butter
275g · Mixed Fruit
70g · Dried Cranberries
¾ tsp · Mixed Spice
300g · Self Raising Flour
170ml · Milk
For the cake mixture
2 · Large Eggs
35g · Chopped Walnuts
185g · Self Raising Flour
¾ tsp · Bicarbonate of Soda
For this recipe, you will need a 900g/2lb loaf tin, measuring 23x13x7cm, greased and lined.
1. Place all the ingredients for the fruit mixture in a saucepan. Heat so that the butter melts and the mixture begins to bubble. Remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat your oven to 140c Fan/ 160c / Gas 3.
3. Remove the tea bags from the fruit mixture and tip into a large bowl.
4. Add the eggs, flour, bicarbonate of soda and mix well, then fold in the nuts.
5. Put the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 60-75 minutes making sure you check the cake at 60 minutes. If it looks too brown and needs more time, cover the top with foil.
6. The cake is done when a skewer comes out clean.
7. When the cake is ready, leave to cool completely in the tin before turning out.
8. This cake can be decorated with marzipan. It's also delicious with a little spread of butter.
9. Enjoy with a cup of Twinings Christmas Tea.