STRAWBERRY ROSE JAM & ALMOND SCONES
When we think of the traditional afternoon tea we think of warm fluffy scones, lashings of cream, a huge serving a yummy jam and a big cup of our finest tea. So we thought we would incorporate the two and bring you this fantastic Strawberry Rose Jam and Almond Scone recipe.
|Serves||9 - 12 People|
|Cooks In||30 mins|
For The Strawberry Rose Jam
|2||Strawberry & Raspberry Tea Bags|
|1 tsp||Powdered Pectin|
|300g||Strawberries, Hulled & Chopped|
|2 tsp||Rose Extract|
For The Almond Scones
|1 tbsp||Baking Powder|
|3 tbsp||Caster Sugar|
|1 tsp||Almond Extract|
- Steep the tea bags in the hot water for 10 minutes. Combine the berry tea and the sugar together heat over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove a tbsp of this mixture and stir in the pectin.
- Add 1/2 the strawberries, pectin into the saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir for 4 minutes then add the rose extract and the remaining the strawberries.
- Allow the jam to cool before placing into sterilised jars.
- CHEF TIP: SCUM, WHICH IS JUST TRAPPED AIR, MAY ARISE WHEN MAKING THE JAM. STIR THE JAM IN THE SAME DIRECTION TO PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING.
- Rub the butter with the flour, almonds, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the sugar, milk and almond extract and mix to combine. Bring together and form a round disk. Chill for 10 minutes
- Pat the round to an inch thick and cut out rounds using a 4cm cutter (do not twist the cutter).
- Carefully brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake at 200C for 10-15 minutes.
Serve with clotted cream and strawberry rose jam.