Winter Spiced Florentine Bars
Winter spiced with pistachios, almonds and all things nice.
- Serves 12 Bars
- Makes In 45 Mins
- Difficulty Easy
- Dietary V
For the Bars
200g · Butter
75g · Sugar
350g · Flour
¼ tsp · Salt
For the Florentine Topping
150ml · Water
2 tbsp· Brewed Twinings Spicy Chai Loose Tea
75g · Mixed Dried Fruit, Finely Chopped (Raisins, Cranberries, Sultanas)
75g · Flaked Almonds
45g · Pistachios, Chopped
35g · Hazelnuts, Chopped
1 Piece · Stem Ginger, Chopped
100g · Brown Sugar
75g · Golden Syrup
100g · Butter
¼ tsp · Salt
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter and infuse with the tea.
2. Allow to cool to room temperature then strain and chill in the fridge until firm.
3. Once firm, place all the ingredients in a mixer fitted with a paddle and mix until the dough resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Gradually add the brewed tea and press into an 8 inch tin lined with foil.
5. Bake at 180C for 10-15 minutes.
6. For the topping, brew the tea in the hot water for a few minutes.
7. Whilst the tea is hot, soak the fruit in the brewed tea for about 5 minutes.
8. Remove the fruit and squeeze out the excess water.
9. Place the water into a saucepan and reduce until it has thickened and there is about 2 tbsp left.
10. Add the sugar, golden syrup and butter and melt together.
11. Add the salt then add the nuts, ginger and dried fruit.
12. Spoon the mixture over the shortbread and bake for another 10-15 minutes at 180C.
13. The top should be a deep golden brown colour and the nuts should be toasty.
14. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.