Try Practising Mindfulness
Practising mindfulness can improve our mental wellbeing by helping us to feel calmer and less stressed. Mindfulness is a skill that can take a bit of time to master, but studies show that it can help to manage a number of mental health issues.
What Is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is actually a simple type of meditation. It's the practice of making a conscious effort to pay attention to the present moment, what is happening around you and what you're feeling. Mindfulness meditation can be valuable for your mental wellbeing by helping you to be more self-aware, allowing you to see situations with more clarity and not get too wrapped up by thoughts and feelings.
It’s important to note that the aim of mindfulness is not to get rid of stress or anxiety, but rather to help us become more aware of our situation and react to sources of stress in a calmer, more considered way.
The better you become at being mindful, the more likely you are to be able to respond calmly to situations as they arise, and the less likely you are to become overwhelmed by negative emotions. You can even take a test to estimate how ‘mindful’ you currently are during the day!
How to Practice Mindfulness
- Find somewhere comfortable to sit. It's helpful if you find somewhere quiet and free of distractions.
- Don't be too ambitious. Aim to spend 5-10 minutes practicing to start with.
- Start by trying to concentrate on your body. Pay attention to the sensation of your clothes on your skin, note your temperature and whether you have any stiffness, tension or pain.
- Notice your breathing. Don't try to change anything about how you're breathing, just spend a little time paying attention to how it feels, how quickly you're breathing and where you can feel your breath in your body.
- Notice when your mind has drifted. It's a part of human nature for our minds to wander. Don't worry about it when it happens, mindfulness is all about accepting these things and being able to bring yourself back to the present when they happen.
Twinings Meditate Playlist
Block out the background noise and help yourself recentre whilst meditating to the relaxing sounds of this variety of 30 different sounds.