Matcha Loaf Cake
Light, buttery and with the distinctive fresh taste of green tea, this matcha cake has a unique and distinct flavour. Easy to make and full of cakey goodness.
|Makes In||1 hour|
For the Cake
|225g||Golden caster sugar|
|1 ½ tsp||Matcha powder|
For the Icing
|3 tsp||Matcha powder|
|½ tsp||Vanilla extract|
Forget everything you ever knew about tea loaf, with its raisins and tea-soaked goodness, this is the ultimate ‘tea loaf’. Made using matcha, a fine green powder from green tea leaves, it’s packed full of antioxidants and goodness.
Easy to make and so light and fluffy. Just remember, a little matcha goes a long way!
- Heat the oven to 180°C (fan oven).
- Line a baking tin with grease-proof paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add one egg at a time and mix until evenly mixed with the butter and sugar.
- Sift in the flour and the matcha powder and combine until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your baking tin and bake for around 45 minutes.
- Leave to cool before serving or icing.
Finish with a dusting of icing sugar, or why not try the matcha-infused buttercream icing for a really indulgent treat?
- Simply mix the butter with sieved icing sugar and matcha powder.
- Add the vanilla extract and a tablespoon of milk to bind it together.
- Ice once the cake is cooled.