Macarons are the ideal treat to create when you really want to show off your baking skills. Delicate, delightful, and oh-so-delicious, they’re the perfect combination of crunch and chocolatey gooeyness. These tiny delights are made using Ovaltine Chocolate for that sweet and malty taste.
Ovaltine Chocolate Macarons
Delicate, delightful, and oh-so-delicious, they’re the perfect combination of crunch and chocolatey gooeyness, these Ovaltine macarons make a fabulous treat.
- Serves 1
- Makes In 40 mins
- Difficulty Moderate
For the Shells
175g · Icing sugar
110g · Almond flour
90g · Egg whites (from 4 medium eggs)
25g · Granulated sugar
Pinch of baking powder
For the Filling
60g · Double cream
70g · Chocolate
½ tsp · Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 170c and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix the icing sugar, ground almonds, and Ovaltine Chocolate in a food processor and blitz until combined.
3. Gently sieve this mixture into a bowl.
4. Whisk the egg whites and baking powder on a medium speed until they form stiff peaks.
5. Sieve in the almond mixture gently, a third at a time, and fold it in until you have a smooth and shiny mix.
6. Add this carefully to an icing bag and pipe into 2.5cm rounds on the parchment paper This should form a thick paste; leave to one side.
7. Leave these to rest for about 30 minutes.
8. Transfer to the oven and bake for around 14-15 minutes; you may want to test one or two first. Leave to cool on the worktop.
9. Whilst the macarons are cooling, make the chocolate frosting by gently heating in cream, chocolate, and vanilla extract in a saucepan and letting the chocolate melt into the cream. Let it thicken, and place it in a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle.
10. Pipe the filling onto one of the macarons and place another on top.