To Prepare a Chai Latte From Scratch
• Lightly toast cinnamon sticks, ginger, star anise, cardamom pods, cloves and peppercorns in a pan for around 3 minutes. The amounts of each are entirely down to your taste, and this is a great opportunity to experiment, but as a starting point, we suggest (serves 4)
Ingredients: 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 x 1-2 inch piece of fresh ginger (sliced), 1 star anise, 8 cardamom pods, 5 cloves and 8 peppercorns.
• Place the spices in a teapot of hot water (about 1 pint) with 3 black tea bags of your choice (Assam is one of our favourites!) and the ginger.
• Steep for 5-10 minutes to taste.
• While the tea is brewing, heat 1 pint of milk with your choice of sweetener (e.g. brown sugar), then froth with a milk frother or immersion blender.
• To serve, strain tea into glasses and top up with frothed milk. Use around 1/3 tea to 2/3 milk.
• Finish with a dusting of cinnamon