Dairy-free Fudge Melts Green Tea Carrot & Raisin Cake
This is a fail-proof recipe and gets eaten up in a flash! Sunflower oil is used instead of butter, which helps keep the cake moist and light, as well as making it dairy-free. Perfect served with a cup of Twinings Tea in the summer sunshine.
|Makes In||1 hr 20 mins|
|170g||Caster or Light Brown Sugar|
|150g||Sunflower or Vegetable Oil|
|1 1/3 tsp||Baking Powder|
|340g||Grated Carrot (Roughly 2 1/2 large carrots)|
|100g||Raisins or Sultanas|
|1||Twinings Fudge Melts Tea Bag|
- For maximum flavour, the raisins should be soaked in tea overnight. To do this, boil the kettle, then brew your tea bag in 200ml boiling water for a couple of minutes. Put the raisins in a bowl and pour over the tea. Leave the bowl in a cool, dry place overnight, covered with a plate or cling film. *If you are tight on time, soak the raisins for a few hours using the same method*
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C. Grease an 8 inch cake tin with a little vegetable oil on kitchen role ready for later.
- Mix the sugar and the oil in a bowl and then add the eggs one at a time. *Don't worry if the mixture curdles a bit*
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into another bowl and mix well.
- Fold the flour mix into the egg mix and stir until combined. Stir in the grated carrots.
- Next, with your hands, grab the raisins out of the bowl and add them to the mixture. Gently stir in the raisins until combined and pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin. *Tap the cake tin on your work surface in order to get a flat top*
- Cook the cake at 170°C for 25 minutes and then turn the heat down to 160°C and cook for a further 20/25 minutes.
- When the cake is ready, remove it from the oven and leave it to cool for around 10 minutes (otherwise it might deflate in size). Then gently scrape around the sides with a spatula to remove it from the edge.
- *The raisins should create texture on top, allowing this cake to be eaten with no topping, but it is great accompanied with soy yoghurt sprinkled with cinnamon*
- This month Twinings is working with the brilliant healthy food blogger Olivia Huntingford to create some healthy ‘free from’ recipes for you to enjoy. Her skills at picking super healthy ingredients (but with all the taste!) are fantastic, so we thought we would give her the challenge to incorporate tea into the mix. We hope you like her creations and don’t forget to take some pictures for us to see!
- Check out Olivia's blog here – Hunting for Health
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Find a range of recipes, inspiration, ideas, and latest news on the Twinings Blog. This blog post features Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Vegan Sponge Cake with Dairy-Free Almond Butter Frosting
Soft, moist, and not too sweet, this vegan sponge cake, with its creamy, dairy-free almond butter frosting, is a little slice of heaven. So simple to follow, this decadent treat is one you’ll want to make time and time again, and is a great addition to any afternoon tea or birthday treat!