Celebrate almost two centuries of an icon with these three distinct blends.
What’s that nose-twitching, intriguing citrusy smell? Ahh it’s bergamot! The unique flavour that sums up Earl Grey.
A small glass jar filled with 20 wrapped The Earl Loose Leaf Pyramids.
Black tea flavoured with vanilla and bergamot.
Starting with our original Earl Grey tea, we added more of its exquisite flavour to create a mouthwatering tea with a rich, vibrant taste.
Surprise someone special with our Favourites Gift Bag. It's full of all the popular treats they love!
Unwrap the elegance! This Festive Greys Gift Bag will be the gift that keeps on giving.
Treat yourself (or someone special) to a delightful trip down the rabbit hole with this Greys Hamper.
Twinings Earl Grey Tea
A classic blend of black tea, with the fragrant flavour of bergamot and lemon, combines to create earl grey tea. A delicate take on black tea with a delicious twist of citrus, it’s light, refreshing and perfect for any time of the day. Strong, fragrant, and full-bodied, our earl grey teas are full of flavour and sourced from the best tea gardens around the world. From our classic blend of earl grey tea to lady grey, decaffeinated earl grey and even our dark grey, there is a blend to suit every palette.
What is Earl Grey Tea?
Made using black tea from the camellia sinensis plant, earl grey is flavoured with bergamot oil, a citrus fruit plant, much like a lemon or an orange. The black tea in earl grey is often made from different varieties such as Ceylon or Assam and can even include rooibos or Oolong. An alternative to the everyday cup of black tea, earl grey tea has fast become a British staple.
How Was Earl Grey Tea First Discovered?
The classic blend of earl grey was created in our Twinings tea shop on the Strand in London at the request of then Prime Minister, Charles Grey (the 2nd Earl Grey). Enjoying this light and refreshing tea so much, he gave his name to it, and it quickly took London by storm. It has firm roots in being a ‘posher’ version of everyday tea.
How is Earl Grey Tea Made Today?
The process of making earl grey tea is much the same as it has always been. A traditional earl grey tea will start with a black tea base from the leaves of a Darjeeling or Ceylon tea. Like black tea, the leaves are oxidised and then flavoured and infused with bergamot oil, which has a fragrant citrus scent. That's only the short version, though!
What Types of Earl Grey Tea Are There?
There are many blends of earl grey tea, each with different levels of zest, fragrance and type of black tea.
We celebrate variety at Twinings and offer many types of earl grey tea to suit different drinkers and moments. Take your pick from a wide selection of loose-leaf earl-grey tea and teabags, plus caffeinated and decaffeinated options too.
• Signature Earl Grey Loose leaf Tea: A rich aromatic blend of bergamot loose leaf tea, with lavender.
• Earl grey black Tea: A citrusy blend with flavours of lemon and bergamot.
• Lady Grey Tea: A black tea with the flavour of zesty orange, bergamot and lemon
• Decaffeinated Earl Grey Tea: Sensitive to caffeine or being careful with your intake? Our decaffeinated earl grey tea is full of all the zest of earl grey with less of the caffeinated zing. Read more about caffeine in black tea.
How to Drink Earl Grey Tea
The way you drink your tea is all down to preference, but as earl grey creators and experts, we have ways for you to get the most from every cup.
• Always use freshly drawn cold water.
• Never pour boiling water over loose leaf tea or tea bags.
• Use one Earl Grey tea bag per drink.
• Flavour with a splash of milk or drink as it comes.
• You can also add a slice of lemon or a drizzle of honey, depending on your taste.
Why Choose Twinings' Earl Grey Tea?
With over 300 years of tea blending behind us, you can count on Twinings black tea for the perfect cup, every time.
• Exceptional quality: Our Master Blenders source from the best producers globally.
• Diverse selection: We've innovated since day one to introduce people to new blends and flavours. From our traditional earl grey tea to our decaffeinated options, there's a perfect blend of earl grey tea for everyone.
• Preferred by tea drinkers: Looking for the best earl grey tea blend in the UK? We're the number one choice for Out of Home Tea.
• Committed to Sustainability: Our teas are responsibly sourced, preserving the environment and treating suppliers and workers fairly. Discover our commitment to communities.